A Beginner’s Guide to Accessing Koala Data and What To Do With It
This toolkit is designed to help environment groups and concerned citizens access and use the NSW government's SEED portal to show the impact of planned developments on koala habitat.
- SBKN SEED Portal Guide - quick guide to basic uses of SEED portal to see koala habitat and koala sightings on proposed developments
- Video Recording of the SEED Koala Data Webinar - step by step demonstration using SEED plus Cerin Loane (EDO) on getting koala data to decision makers. (or watch below)
- EDO Fact sheet - Koala Evidence in Decision Making Processes
Koala Data Webinar (recorded 28th July 2023)
The webinar covers:
How to access SEED maps, including:
- How to add a location (street address / LGA boundaries / Development lot)
- How to add Koala Habitat Suitability Layer (from Koala Habitat Information Base)
- How to add BioNet Koala Sightings
- How to add all species sightings (colour coded by threatened species status)
- Guest speaker Cerin Loane (Special Council Nature) from EDO explains how best to utilise this information to advocate for koalas.
- Protecting Koalas in the Sydney Basin Bioregion: EDO Report for SBKN Feb 2023
- EDO Legal Resources: Search for specific fact sheets relevant to your development issue
- NSW Government SEED help page: detailed info on how to use SEED datasets
Note: SEED is accessed via the web and is freely available without a login. It is best to access SEED on a computer rather than a mobile phone. You can still join the webinar on a phone to watch the demo, and then try it yourself later on a computer. You do not need to download any specialist software to access SEED.