Our SBKN Infographics distill key points from our scientific, legal, and policy documents to raise awareness of the status of Sydney Basin koala colonies, issues with current planning and environmental legislation, and the policy reform needed to grow koala populations.
INFOGRAPHIC 1 - Can Koalas Survive in the Sydney Basin Bioregion?
INFOGRAPHIC 2 - Why Koalas Can Become Extinct in NSW
Collates key analyses from our legal report from the Environmental Defenders Office
1. Identifying Habitat is Voluntary.
2. Offsets are Overused & Not Robust.
3. Decision-making is Discretionary.
4. NSW Koala Strategy has no legal weight.
5. Safeguards are Failing. Important legal safeguards to protect koalas from high-impact development (such as the BC Act, EP&A Act & Koala SEPPP) are poorly implemented or under-utilised).
INFOGRAPHIC 3 - Solutions to Grow Sydney Basin Koala Populations
1. Protect Existing Koala Habitat.
2. Expand and Restore Linking Koala Corridors.
3. Remove Planning Law Loopholes.
4. Build Underpasses and Fence Koala Corridors.
5. Continue scientific research.