Help save our Koalas! We aim to protect and expand Koala populations in the Sydney Basin; Newcastle to Blue Mountains to Nowra. Koalas have been listed as endangered under Commonwealth and NSW law, but there is much we can do the save them.
The Sydney Basin Koala Network (SBKN) has been established by Total Environment Centre, partnering with 3 year funding from WIRES, to:
- Increase public knowledge and appreciation of the region’s Koala populations through surveys, a variety of communication channels and community briefings.
- Inform local, state and federal governments about the existence, conservation status and threats to the Koala populations and effective measures to protect them and expand their range.
- Utilise citizen science according to a credible survey methodology to monitor the populations and record the sightings on a database accessible in the public domain.
- Help community groups to protect Koala habitat by support for surveys and the provision of information and policies.
- Work with non-government groups, scientists, business and conservation agencies to achieve these aims.